Back in 2000, I was a newly single mom. There weren’t a ton of people to be fixed up with so, when I felt I was ready, I turned to the internet dating sites to find my match. Back in the day, there were only a few that I trusted. One was Match.com and the other was JDate. I ended up meeting my now-husband online and firmly believe that these sites work.
You just have to be really careful. There are a ton of crazy people out there and you don’t want to be unprepared if you happen to be on a date with one of them.
I followed a few safety precaution rules of my own that, in this day and age, still hold true.
1. Do a sort of background check on the person before you go out with them. My rule of thumb was, we had to have AT LEAST one mutual friend before I would even consider going out with him.
2. Tell a couple people where you are going, once you know. NEVER go on a blind date without someone knowing where you are! Also, give the person your dates contact info.
3. I never finished a drink that I had left unattended. You just never know.
4. Drive yourself. Meet them at the agreed upon location for the first few dates.
5. Talk to someone on the phone before meeting in person. It’s just creepy if you don’t.
6. Don’t give out too much personal information until you know that the person is trustworthy.
7. Keep in mind that the picture you see online could be old and the real life version might be a little different. Or…a LOT different.
8. Stay sober. OK, somewhat sober.
9. Don’t leave your personal items unattended.
10. STAY IN A PUBLIC PLACE!
11. If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t. Trust your intuition!
Those are some of the VERY important factors to keep in mind when meeting someone from online sites. Chances are, nothing bad is going to happen. Most people join the online sites for the same reasons. But every once in awhile, there are horrible events that make the news. You don’t want to be a negative headline.
Stay safe while having fun!
This post is brought to you by the fine folks at Paragon Apartments, offering apartments across Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky, and the Paragon Patio, where residents connect. We’d love to talk with you on Facebook and Twitter!